Thursday 30 June 2011

An Open Letter To Reggie Fils-Aime

Dear Reggie,

I can't presume to know the process for localizing a Japanese game for a western audience. I don't know which Game Fairy waves the magic wand that makes the entertainment disc in my Videroo-tron machine deliver the fun-times, and which are banished to the land of frowns. That's how it goes, right? I don't work in video games, I'm still a bit hazy on that.

I also cannot speak for Operation Rainfall, or say if even half of them would be true to their word if "Xenoblade", "The Last Story" or "Pandora's Tower" were released in my country. And I certainly can't say if those games are actually any good, because I haven't been able to play them. As far as I know, it may not even be Nintendo's call on whether the U.S. and Canada would get to purchase these games.



What I can tell you is that those three games are not shovelware. They are not sequels to established franchises. They appear to have an emphasis on story and characters, and feature unique visual aesthetic and control schemes. At least one of them I can confirm has an unbelievable soundtrack. This is what we need more of in video games today. They are the kind of games I am willing to pay for.



Your company has been unafraid in the past to release games for the Nintendo Wii which were big risks to your bottom line. Niche titles that deserved to be seen and experienced, even if only by a few people. Because of that, I was able to purchase "Zack & Wiki", and "Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon". Your company gave "Okami", a critical darling that undersold on its original release a second chance. Your company releases and/or publishes games about solving mysteries and puzzle-solving instead of sensational violence. I cannot always say the same for your two biggest competitors.




I wish I could make those big promises, that supporting titles like those featured in Operation Rainfall will be a positive influence on your company's bottom line. All I can promise is that if Nintendo of America decides to release any of those three titles where I can purchase them, I will. You will absolutely have at least one sale. You will have my money.

Sincerely,

~Alex Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment